As summer quickly approaches, you may be wondering what activities you should sign your son or daughter up for. A sports or fine arts camp? A local day camp? Maybe even some swim lessons prior to all that time spent in the pool. Either way, school is out and your new parental role features 24/7 entertainment. According to the Kaiser Family Foundation, kids ages 8-18 spend an average of 7.5 hours in front of a screen every day. So here’s our top ten reasons why sending your child away to a sleep-away camp for two weeks or more is the most beneficial thing you can do for your son or daughter this summer.
1. They’re ACTIVE. With no technology available and over 60+ activities to choose from, kids are nonstop playing. They eat three well-rounded meals a day that gives them the energy to run in a kickball game, swim in the Guadalupe River, or play a couple matches of tennis.
2. They can try new things like fencing. Camp gives kids the opportunity to do things they’ve never done before.3. They’re engaged and learning. When kids are active, they’re learning. At Heart O’ the Hills our girls have the ability to advance in levels in riflery, archery, and the American Red Cross swim levels.
4. They form new lifelong friendships. Who else will understand your love for games like Mission Impossible or the silly camp traditions.
5. Blobbin‘ need we say more?
6. Teamwork is taught. More and more employers have stopped looking for the smartest kid in the room and started looking for the ultimate team player.
7. They’re in a healthy atmosphere where giggles are uncontrollable and a painted face is normal.
8. Self-reliance is enhanced. All too often, a child’s first venture away from home is their first year in college. Away from parents but still in a safe and supportive environment, a child has to figure out for themselves what to do if they forget a towel at swimming.
9. It’s FUN! Sneaking around camp during a treasure hunt, leaving secret notes for little sisters, and playing under the sun is just good ole fashioned fun.
10. Nature surrounds them. You are giving your child memories under the stars, around a campfire, or soaking wet playing in the rain.
What are you waiting for?
Heart O’ the Hills Camp for Girls 6-16, is located on the Guadalupe River’s beautiful South Fork in Hunt, the heart of the beautiful Texas Hill Country. The camp was founded on eight pillars of virtue in 1953, and still today strives to nurture a character-building atmosphere. Campers obtain personal growth through intangibles–self-confidence, teamwork, leadership, individual identity, and dealing with challenges. Check us out at www.hohcamp.com
Have a boy? We have a brother camp, Camp Stewart! www.campstewart.com